Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Coach was feeling a bit bad about the punishment he dished out on us yesterday.  So today was an easy cardio time.  Poncha Pass on the road.  This should be an easy day.  26 mile round trip.  So I drain a couple of ounces of puss out of my rear ankles and get going.
 
 Poncha Pass is <3% grade.   5 miles up hill from Salida to Poncha Springs at 7300 feet then 7 miles up to Poncha Pass that tops out at 9010 feet.  Uneventful up hill, 1 car actually honked and waved and not with one finger like they do in Houston.  Still feeling a bit of yesterday, the legs are tired and heavy.  Decide to ride the 8 speed cross bike with the cool kids flat bars.  The road bike stayed at home for this trip.
 
Remembered how to drink at altitude.  In flatlands I take 3 long pulls on the camel back.  Up here I can only do 1 or 2 pulls without sending the body into oxygen deprivation. So drink less, more often. (Note cburke, Rider)
 
Hit the top o de pass and read the Forest signs.  To the south is the headwaters of the Rio Grande.  Check the tire pressures and then head down.   Learning about how a bike descends and being comfortable with the speed is the biggest fear factor.   The bike is pretty good going down. You want to make sure there are no high speed shimmies. The mini knobbies (Ritchy ZED up front) are a singing.   Probably hitting 35-40ish (no speedometer on this bike) Let out a nice “Wa hoo”.  Not sure I have ever done that riding in Texas.
 
They keep saying there is a heat wave here.  The temp on the bank sign said 77 deg. when I got back to town.  Go by Absolute bikes to pick up some 29” tubes.  Nice folks, they let me try out a GF 29” full suspension.  Feels pretty cramped.  Watch the kayakers playing in the river.  Why do I live in Texas?
 
Tomorrow is a tough day.  3 moutain passes 72 miles or something like that.  There is the Monarch trail that is supposed to be the best single track in the state.  So that may be a variation of the planned Poncha, Marshall, Monarch pass route.
 
Lesson learned:
The Gary Fisher 29 full suspension is not big enough for me.  I am destined to a life of custom bikes.  It’s 1:30

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home